Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

"upgrade" for Gauntlet

From: "Kevin Kadow" <kevin () msg net>
Date: 8 Sep 2004 10:22:46 -0500

Morty writes:
So, Gauntlet is no longer available.
Securecomputing is pushing Sidewinder G2.

Whe G2  is a good hybrid FW. It's nowhere near a drop-in replacement for Gauntlet;  management is getting sick of
hearing me say "Sidewinder isn't Gauntlet".

I have a users group for Sidewinder,
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sidewinder-users/

There are many, many differences between Gauntlet and Sidewinder -- we've "upgraded"  a half-dozen Gauntlet 5 and 6
firewalls, and not one has been an easy drop-in replacement.

In several cases, we ended up keeping a Gauntlet around to serve  "executive visible" functions (cough Bloomberg SOCKS
cough) not available (outright broken) in Sidewinder G2.

I am not saying Cyberguard would give better results, just that I personally am dissatisfied with SCC.

If you have the option to redeploy modern Sun Sparc hardware from a Gauntlet installation, you might add Checkpoint on
Solaris to your list.

Kevin