Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: The State of Information Security, 2004 (survey)

From: Rebs Guarina <rebs.guarina () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 08:54:06 +0800

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 20:43:16 -0400, Marcus J. Ranum <mjr () ranum com> wrote:
Speaking of "Bad Surveys" here's a classic. This just came
across the radar screen this evening....

<snip>

Methodology

The State of Information Security 2004, a worldwide study by CIO Magazine
and PricewaterhouseCoopers, was conducted online from March 22 through
April 30, 2004. Readers of CIO Magazine, CSO Magazine and clients of
PricewaterhouseCoopers from around the globe were invited via email to take
the survey. The results shown in this report are based on the responses of
more than 8,000 CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, CSOs, vice presidents and directors of IT
and information security from 62 countries. The margin of error for this
study is 1%.

OK, this is the important part, here. Can you say "self selected sample"??
Readers were emailed a survey and some of them answered. What have
we measured, here?

I actuall agree with your opinion; they have measured the responses
from people who had the time to reply to their email, i.e. those who
did not think that it was spam. Also, 8,000 is a statistically
doubtful number. I've managed 2 national surveys, 3 regional surveys,
dozens of others, and have read tons of statistical papers (being a
statistician, and all); I still have to see a validly published paper
whose survey sample ends in zero. I guess their sampling was biased
from the start. You'll just get biased answers and biased results from
your queries here.....

One possible thing we have measured is the number of IT executives
that have spam-blockers. ;)  Or we have measured the number of IT
executives who have too much free time on their hands... Or - well,
we don't KNOW - that's the problem with self-selected samples.
Of particular interest in the description above is the "clients of
PricewaterhouseCoopers from around the globe" - what does that
mean? Are they executives, or software engineers or sales reps
or - what? Again, we don't know. But the premise and tone of the
survey makes it sound like it's a scientific survey of senior executives;
reading the "Methodology" makes one wonder if that's the case. My
guess is even the folks who did the survey have very little actual
idea what the sampling bias was, here.

--
I'm always a newbie. I wouldn't know a damn thing if I were not!