Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Re: ISP firewalling of residential customers - was - About Port Forwarding, Apache and Firewall Rules

From: Devdas Bhagat <devdas () dvb homelinux org>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 22:19:27 +0530

On 01/09/04 07:04 -0400, Paul D. Robertson wrote:
On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Mason wrote:

In discussions within my department, we find ourselves torn between a desire
to be transparent to our customers, our knowledge of the what is "out
there" (spam, worms, phishing, etc), and the feeling that we need to do more
to protect our customers (absence of funds and man-power always figure
heavily into this as well...).

If it's explained well, my conjecture is that most customers will want
protection...

Our quandary is that we are the little guy and we fear that implementing any
such restrictive policy would kill us.  Our customers are accustomed to
largely unrestricted access to the net and our formidable competition is
highly unlikely to take similar steps in protecting their network which would
of course make them look pretty rosy by comparison.

Most of your customers likely don't know the difference- being in the
technology field, and knowing the difference, we likely project that on to
our users more than is quite accurate- mostly users know X works or Y is
broken...

My current ISP offers a default inbound firewall. I have to opt out of
their blacklist (and deposit $large sum for it). I still end up with
having the Cisco Pix SMTP proxy in front of my Postfix box, and ssh
sessions dying out.
The only reason I am with them is that I didn't have a better choice
until now. Now I have a possibly better choice and I might move if the
other ISP gets a small amount more of clue (they are a telco so not much
hope for that, but that is something I can work around).

Anyone have any brilliant ideas...?  It's really unfortunate that we feel our
hands are tied; most of this mess could be dealt with if we were able to get
a bit more involved in our customers' access to the net.

Here's what I'd do-

Take a small block of addresses, and implement ingress *and* some basic
egress filtering.  Offer it as "protected network access" with a few
informational documents- either figure out which of your customers is
trojaned (irc without a "real" nickname) and offer it to them along with
some advice on cleaning up, or just offer it-

If you can't get management to support that- then go whole hog- offer them
a plan where "protected Internet access" is an extra $5-$10 a month, but
that allows you to get a firewall and do static addresses to spend some
time on individual rules- then have them do some market research to see if
it'd fly.

Or the other way round. Firewalled by default, with no ingress and
limited egress.

Most people aren't technical and want to feel protected.  This is an
advantage that we should *all* be using in explaining firewalling.  When I
left my last employer, I was really surprised at the number of folks who
understood "You can't do X" was my way of protecting the company, not my
way of keeping them from doing new things- but I'd probably explained it a
gazillion times over.

On the other hand, the ISP network is for doing new things. I am not
being paid to use the ISP network, I am paying for that. Any ISP that
wants to say "don't do X" will be expected to justify it. If they can
justify it, I am willing to continue with their service.

Contrary to popular opinion, full access to the Internet is neither a
god-given right, nor a necessity.

The big issue from a business standpoint is that popular opinion seems to
rule...  I wish that we could do what is right rather than what is popular -
it would make this feel more like network adminstration than politics...

Comcast has started filtering.  I think egress filtering port 25, and
having users relay is pretty reasonable these days.  Just have a low-cost
(that's for the bueiness) way for folks to opt out.

Or for those of us who have more clue than $generic ISP admin.
($generic admin example == someone who does not understand that
*you do not take all your outbound MTAs down twice for three days each
to upgrade them. You do it one at a time.*)

Devdas Bhagat