Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: LDAP and Kerberos?

From: "Melson, Paul" <PMelson () sequoianet com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:46:24 -0400

-----Original Message-----
The advantage of mutual authentication is that it prevents playback
spoofing and man-in-the-middle attacks.  It's designed to make it
difficult for a third system to get access to services by
eavesdropping
or otherwise intercepting or interfering with the authentication
process.

Ah, so I can setup my own CA and accomplish most of the same
thing.  I see
now.  Thank you.

Exactly.

At that point, the only argument that I can think of for using Kerberos
instead of SSL and LDAP is that Kerberos can determine whether or not a
specific user is allowed to use a specific service.  Of course you can
probably do something like this with PAM and LDAP groups, so there's not
much need for Kerberos even then.

PaulM