Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: VPN endpoints

From: "Kevin Sheldrake" <kev () electriccat co uk>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 21:48:15 +0100

On 30/08/04 14:48 +0100, Kevin Sheldrake wrote:
So, unless you like no encryption, VPNs are not secure (although some
specific examples may be 'secure' (see 2)).   Also, bear in mind the
implementation of the VPN encryption algorithms might not be textbook -
how will you know?

2) 'Secure' is an undefined term.  What's secure for me might not be

"Secure" is a very well defined term.

A system is secure when the cost of an unauthorised entity accessing the
data on the system or the loss of the data itself is higher than the value
of the data itself.

Ignoring momentarily the difficulty of quantifying risks, please bear in mind the post to which I was replying to had stated that VPNs were secure. My point was that that was an illogical statement as the term 'secure' was situation dependent; what's secure when exposed to one environment is not necessarily secure when exposed to a different one. To that end it is certainly not well defined...

Also, I tend to disagree with the notion that anything should be considered 'secure' - I prefer to take a risk management approach instead. Risk is inherent in information of any value, simply by virtue of a potential attacker existing. The threat agents do not necessarily disappear just because countermeasures have been implemented. When new vulnerabilities emerge, it isn't a case of are we still secure, but more like how much additional risk are we exposed to and what will possible countermeasures do to the risk? I suppose you could say "a system is secure when..." provides a binary value, where as risk management offers a full and rich array of useful information about the state of security.

[ The less scrupulous of us might consider that a risk management approach always ends with the customer carrying some risk (as some risk is always inevitable); a desire over time to further reduce this risk may lead to more work! ;) ]

SSL VPNs are IMHO generally a bad idea.  In a nutshell, this is because
most of the benefits are in the fact that practically any client can be
used, and that the authentication mechanisms are not particularly
intrusive (and often are fault-tolerant).  By allowing uncontrolled
clients you introduce potentially major risks; controlling the clients

<not_a_troll>
Is a Microsoft Windows (tm) system that has been connected to a non trusted
network a controlled client?
</not_a_troll>

It's not necessarily the OS that I'm worried about, more the untrusted network and management function that the client exists within. If your remote user can use any PC with a modern browser to SSL VPN into your network, then they can use PCs in Internet cafes, wireless access points, airport kiosks, etc. All you need is a crook managing the network and you could be looking at anything from keyboard sniffers through to hacked Internet browsers. SSL VPNs by their nature must trust the browser software and often the Java VM.

A traditional IPSec VPN, however, requires a client and some reasonable key management. This will reduce the chances of an employee using a third party provided workstation to connect into the network. IPSec isn't as vulnerable to man-in-the-middle attacks, either.

The problem as I see it is not the technology itself, it is the fact
that the technology puts a great deal of responsibility for policy
enforcement on the end user who is non technical that is the problem.

Okay, ettercapNG (ettercap.sourceforge.net) is a tool for man-in-the-middle attacks. It can perform an active attack on SSL in switched and hubbed networks. As part of the attack it switches the certificate with its own, signed by itself. This allows it to set up a tunnel to the client and another to the server; the data is decrypted at the ettercap attack workstation. All the user often sees different to the norm is a warning that something is a little odd with the certificate. In one browser it presented two green ticks to say the cert was in date and related to the right site, and one amber wiggly line to say it was signed by someone we _don't yet trust_. The user has two choices, 1) click No and don't get their email, have to ring the IT dept, this might be the next day if outside office hours, they may take a while to sort it, they may think the user is stupid... or 2) click Yes and get their email. It appears that many users will hit Yes.

So, yes, it is the user at fault but the technology didn't really help itself, did it? It should have said "You don't trust this certificate. It could be fake. This could be an attempt at phishing. This could be a part of a hack. Report this to your IT dept." or perhaps something similar.

Also, as I mentioned above, IPSec doesn't suffer this particular flaw. So if the technologies present different vulnerabilities, should they not be compared?

Actually a good idea if you are in a place where jobs are being
outsourced, plumbers are appaently rarer than unemployed IT personnel
and earn about the same.
PS: For the humour impaired, that last is a joke.

I do believe in London plumbers earn more per hour than generalist IT contractors.

Kev

--
Kevin Sheldrake MEng MIEE CEng CISSP
Electric Cat (Bournemouth) Ltd