Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Increase in SSH Probing

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 14:31:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Mathew Want wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else had noticed a large increase in scans and
crack attempts against SSH. I found a reference to
http://www.k-otik.com/exploits/08202004.brutessh2.c.php which would
explain the pattern of usernames I had seen originally (i.e. test, guest and
root).

Yep, it's up.  I haven't seen anyone with a good capture of the
client-side code though.  If you can track one back to a source who's
willing to allow some poking, or provide the hostile code, I'm interested,
especially in the more aggressive version.

Paul