Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: how prevelant

From: "Kevin Sheldrake" <kev () electriccat co uk>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 08:22:11 +0100

Hello

Due to the rapid development of exploits against Windows OS (often all over the same few ports), and the tendency of script kiddies to run Windows attack tools, I tend to suggest that if you open your firewall up to allow the 'Windows' ports, then you probably aren't getting much benefit from the firewall. An example attack would be the automated attack tools that simply port scan for the Windows ports and then unleash all tools available against the box, leaving a shell behind if they work, and then simply moving on. If you have the Windows ports exposed then it should only be a matter of time (and a function of probability) until your box gets hit. If it's not patched up-to-date then it will probably get owned by the bad guys.

I accept that there can be lots of other benefits a firewall can provide, but if you have a Windows domain, an untrusted domain, and a firewall between them, one has to question any security policy that allows those ports through. Even if you are at the forefront of patch management, I don't believe it is possible to patch a system where patches are simply not available (as is often the case).

Of course, Samba on *nix is just as dangerous if you give everyone free reign.

As an aside, providing Windows port access internal to large organisations is a risk that often has to be managed; internal hacks are common and these ports often suffice. Do you really want to increase that risk by giving the same level of access to everyone on the Internet?

Kev

I had a job interview a while back and during the interview they were explaining the network configuration to me. When the interviewer was done, he asked why I had such a stunned look on my face. I said I found it amazing they were passing domain information across the internet. His response was that they had a firewall, so it was ok.

I explained that firewalls are worthless if you are passing your important information across the internet without some kind of encryption.

I ended up not taking the job, because they actually argued with my free advice on how to immediately fix the problem. (Setup an IPSEC tunnel between the sites.)

I think it is VERY common, because there is a lack of understanding.

You say tightfisted, I say intelligent.

jas

R. DuFresne wrote:
how common is it for a company to have it's NT domain and novell
athentication pass openly across the internet, and have this be the
requirement to access VPN tunnel rights from outside into the company?
The firewalls I manage keep all windows related protocols in the 135-139,
445 and 5000 ports arenas internal only, none f this traffic passes
outside the firewalls, none is allowedto pass outside, unltess tunneled.
Is this not a standard practise with any org with half a clue of security,
or am I being more tightfisted with access and control then is the norm?
 Thanks,
 Ron DuFresne

--
Kevin Sheldrake MEng MIEE CEng CISSP