Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Load Balancing

From: Nathaniel Hall <halln () otc edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:21:34 -0600

I am working on creating a firewall to do load balancing between two or more LDAP servers. I am using Fedora Core 2 as my firewall with two physical NICs. I have tried several different combinations of rules, but I cannot get it to work correctly. Here is what is going wrong:

LDAP request goes to 172.16.0.63
Request is routed to interface on same network and destination address is correctly changed to a random system to be load balanced. Once there is an answer for LDAP, the answer goes directly to the requesting machine, not the firewall that routed it.

I know this is a very easy problem to fix, but I apparently am losing my mind and cannot think.

--
Nathaniel Hall, GSEC
Intrusion Detection and Firewall Technician

halln () otc edu
417-799-0552