Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Re: Ethics, morality, and mental retardation

From: Miha Vitorovic <mvitorovic () nil si>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 16:33:37 +0100

"Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com> wrote on 03.11.2004 15:28:33:

Miha Vitorovic wrote:
I see this point come up again and again throughout this thread.
"Mitnik
should choose another line of work, for me, _the security expert_, to
be
happy." Why?

Snipped to save eletronic trees.

I think you're probably projecting your own motives, then. Hopefully
my response has helped explain some of the motivation behind
at least a few of our views. Yes, the desire for respect fundamentally
boils down to egotism - but when you're talking about whether
an entire *industry* is respected, then it's more an issue of
efficiency. Imagine if every time you went to a restaurant, you

Well,

I must say that I agree with most of what you said, and I think to some
extent, we are both right - we just draw the line differently. Basically
what bothered me the most with the whole thread was the lack of rational
though, and the tone of the whole debate. People were throwing words like
"ethics" and "morality" around like frisbees, and it all more resembled a
witch hunt than a civilised debate. And the level was degrading rapidly.
It was like watching Jerry Springer; we had this ex-criminal on the stage
[well, not really, more like a cardboard cut-out], and people were
grabbing the mike, righteously shouting things like "fraud!!!",
"moron!!!!", "thief!!!!". Well, you know the drill...

That's all I wanted to say. I guess I'll go back to lurking quietly on the
list again.

Miha Vitorovic