Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: BGP TCP RST Attacks (was:CIsco PIX vulnerable to TCP RST DOS attacks)

From: Henning Brauer <hb () bsws de>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 13:35:06 +0200

* Josh Welch <jwelch () buffalowildwings com> [2004-05-05 18:45]:
Mikael Olsson said:
<snip>
I still believe that the #1 impact of this vulnerability, as seen in an
Internet-wide perspective, is killing BGP sessions in core routers.
Do it a few times to trigger route flap detection, and you'll isolate
large chunks of the net from eachother, or, worst case, from the rest
of the Internet.
The advisories I have seen have made this same statement. However, according
to another list I read there are a number of network operators who feel this
is not a real threat. A number of them hold that it would be excessively
challenging to be able to match up the source-ip:source-port and
dest-ip:dest-port and effectively reset a BGP session without generating a
large volume of traffic, which should be noticed in and of itself.

hiarious.
please think about it for a minute:
-one port (179) is known
-the other is to be guessed, which is trivial with cisco equipment
-due to their large window size and extremely poor ISNs, guessing
 a sequence number within the window is also rather easy

large volume of traffic? not at all.

--
hb () bsws de - henning () openbsd org
(Dennis Ritchie)