Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: NAT Pseudo Security

From: David Lang <dlang () digitalinsight com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 17:58:12 -0700 (PDT)

The ready availability and deployment of Linux on low end router type
devices is makeing it so that when many people talk about the capabilities
of NAT they include PAT (port address translation, masquerading, etc)
becouse they don't even realize that that this is a different beast then
the traditional NAT. (for that matter, for several releases of linux the
kernel only knoew how to do PAT, NAT is a relativly recent addition)

while egress filtering is important for many reasons, the simple step of
blocking inbound connections is a great beginning.

David Lang