Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Worms, Air Gaps and Responsibility

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 08:24:40 -0400 (EDT)

Hospitals, banks, the U.K. Coast Guard...  The damage from the latest
Microsoft-based worm isn't as widespread as that from the last one, but
it's pretty darned bad in point cases.

Why do people continue to connect critical production networks to
user/administrative networks?

Surely networking equipment is cheap enough that a real honest air gap
(not some marketingspeak switch thingie) isn't all that difficult to
deploy?

Air gaps make great firewalls.  They rarely need upgrading, they're
low-power and low-heat, and they're less filling and taste great.

Worst-case, a few low-end firewalls to segment the users off from the
production stuff should be a no-brainer these days.

All the money, effort and time people are spending on IDS, IPS, and all
the other buzzword-compliant devices, and yet we still don't have good
solid separation and segmentation in places where, one would expect that
the responsibility for running a critical network would require some level
of protection to be displayed.

Paul