Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Vulnerability Response (was: BGP TCP RST Attacks)

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 13:07:34 -0400

Dave Piscitello wrote:
But don't you think you can manage risk better if you mitigate by central policy definition and patch management?

I don't think patch management is the solution for any significant aspect
of the problem. I know that flies in the face of the "common wisdom" of
security these days, but I think eventually time will tell and we'll give up
on patch management as a security technique. The only place patches
make a difference is on services that are internet-facing or mission critical.
What you'll find is, if you can define those systems and services, you'll
have good security if the list is small and the machines are well configured.
If the list is large (the "have cake, eat it too, not get fat" philosophy of
Internet security) you'll have cruddy security no matter what you do.

Put differently, I see the "patch it everyplace" approach as an over-extension
of an approach that *did* work OK: policy-centric host hardening. The idea
was that we could harden certain crucial hosts and they'd be "safe enough"
for Internet use. So people went and extended that philosophy to "harden
everything" - i.e.: patch it everyplace. The problem is that hardening hosts
only works when you are working with underlying software that CAN BE
hardened and host operating systems that CAN BE secured. We were
comfortable with building - and were able to build - very strong bastion
hosts back in the early 90's. So people looked and said, "behold! if
we just patch everything, then we won't NEED a proxy firewall! after
all, we'll be as SECURE as a locked down proxy host!"    Ummm....
Wrong. Given a few more years this reality will sink in.

The "right way" is still the right way and has been all along. It's:
        - minimize your access footprint (reduce zone of risk)
        - default deny
        - identify the few Internet services you need to the few servers that need
                them, and lock those services down
                * keep those services patched if you can't lock them down with
                better means like chroot, setuid, and file permissions
        - audit and look at your logs

The way this is gonna play itself out is that eventually the "old school"
security folks are going to get really really tired of saying "we told you so"
and switch to saying, "yeah, it hurts, doesn't it? stop whining. you got
what you asked for."

I've used the CIS security tool (includes HFnetchk) and templates one-off with both MMC plug-in and local policy
editing. This is hours per computer, and does not scale even in my home office. But if you use a template and push a
configuration from a central policy server to all clients, it's more efficient, and uniform.

Centralized policy administration works but largely because it's
USUALLY used to implement basic commonsense like default
deny and minimized zone of risk.

Don't confuse the symptom with the solution, though!!
Organizations that do centralized policy administration
are not more secure because that's what they do. It's
that organizations that "get" security are more likely
to be doing centralized policy administration. Because,
done cluefully and with discipline, it helps. Clue and
discipline is better off centralized because your typical
organization does not have enough clue across the
spectrum so you need to aggregate it in the central
administration.  Organizations with high clue in their
IT department will centralize administration because they
know users can't be trusted.

As I write this I am realizing that there are a lot of
dearly held myths of security that are misunderstood
because we assign the effect to the symptom!! How
could we have been so foolish, as a community?? :(

Perhaps initially, but this is a systemic problem, no? Anyone with kids knows the "clean the room" syndrome, and
security operations are like parents with lots of messy children. Each child does little or nothing for a long long
time, until the only way to clean his or her room is to literally empty it and restore order and cleanliness. But if
the effort to establish the baseline is followed by more disciplined administration and housekeeping, the must fix
disaster list is shorter, and more suitable to prioritization.

Put differently: after one beats one's head against the wall
long enough, either one's brains turn to jelly, or one's clue
level increases.

"None of our users would accept that kind of solution!" they cried.

If this attitude is pervasive, then the client wasted your time and spent their money unwisely.

:)
How pervasive do *YOU* think that attitude is, Dave?

mjr.