Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Worms, Air Gaps and Responsibility

From: Gwendolynn ferch Elydyr <gwen () reptiles org>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 12:34:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 18 May 2004, Dana Nowell wrote:
the nightmare.  Is that today, no.  Is that within say 5 years, possibly.
Show me YOUR plans for firewall protection of bluetooth, wireless USB, and
similar connections (yes some stuff is/can be built in by design but buffer
overflows and other exploits can be built in by accident;).

Isn't that what this discussion started out with?  Whether we're talking
about wired or wireless devices, the concept of an "air gap" [namely a
complete lack of connectivity between devices] remains valid.

I don't think cell phones are a real big issue now but convergence between
cell phones and PDAs with wireless connectivity and a VPN thrown in is a
scary concept.  As people have said for awhile now the days of Red and Blue
zones are over, unfortunately most people lack the
skills/intelligence/money/clout to bury the corpse.

I'd like to point out that North America is dramatically behind the
curve in cell phone usage.  Look at the way that phones are being used
in the far east and Europe.

At any rate, it's still a matter of determining where and what your
edges are, and enforcing them accordingly.  Yes - new technologies are
always a challenge - but the basic requirements don't really change.

cheers!