Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re[2]: Worms, Air Gaps and Responsibility

From: Eric Maiwald <emaiwald () fred net>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 11:24:03 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 7 May 2004, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
Well, the Cisco self-protecting network stuff is basically that concept. The
idea is to partner with A/V vendors and have a plug-in to the A/V software
that interfaces with firewalls and switches to make sure the portable
machine is "up to scratch" - I think the concept is good but fairly primitive.
If it works, though, there's all kinds of potential for interesting horizontal
integration (e.g.: "call H.R. and decide if this guy is still an employee..")
That was all announced in November; I don't know how vaporous it is.

Zone Labs had something like this that they were working on as well.
Aventail had (still has maybe?) a consortium called EdgeSec that
was supposed to address this concept. I don't know how far that went.
Their concept was not limited only to AV but also to desktop firewall
(version and policy) and VPN.

I believe that the VPN was to be the mechanism to convey the information
to the server. The server would then make a determination about how
much connectivity the client would receive. It might be full connectivity,
or some type of quarantine so that the client could be updated.

Eric

Eric Maiwald                                         So Many Hobbies,
emaiwald () fred net                                    So little time

"A compromise which results in a half-step toward evil is all wrong."
              --Theodore Roosevelt