Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Seeking input: Research Proposal: "Is a third position possible?"

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 20:44:53 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004, Holt, Philip wrote:

  Okay then, what interests me and from this inteterest of mine is to
be designed and submitted a participant survey that will reveal what
you folks have to say, which in short will be the large volume of data
that reveals your thoughts concerning, "Is a third position possible?"

More than three positions are certainly possible, the real question is are
they supportable?

  We are all aware of CISSP's Canons.

It would appear that not all CISSPs are "aware" of the canons, or at
least they seem not to follow them all that closely.  While the "old
guard" of the CISSPs certainly take them seriously, I'm not sure that many
of the more recently certified do.

  We are also all aware of the positions put forth and the beliefs
held fast to of the 2600 Group, Hacktivismo, John Perry Barlow's
"Declaration of Cyberspace" and a host of other similar positions and
beliefs that are in fact counter-positions to those revealed in
CISSP's Canon.
  Well - is there not the 'possibility' for something else?

Always, there is room, however as evidenced by the US political system
(or indeed the Parlimentry one,) we (the royal, humanity we) gravitate
toward two choices, "sides" as it were.

I think that you have to look more at the impetus and factors that
influence the camps before saying they're directly comparable.  In my
mind, they're not apples and apples- one is an attempt to provide a
baseline of trust for a profession which is built upon and requires it,
and the other is a philosophy.

I don't hold a CISSP[2], but I fully support their canons and indeed
they match my ethics quite well.

  By that I suggest something that will allow for and even encourage
dialog to take place between these two "system philosophies" (building
of course on Edmund Husserl's "The Crisis of European Sciences and
Humanity and Transcendental Phenomenology")

Of course!  Erm, I don't think that came with my firewall ;)

  Would any of you be interested in receiving this survey, once it is
written up?

Certainly, I'd be happy to approve a link to such a survey.

  Furthermore, would any of you be willing and able to look at draft
forms of the survey as it comes to light and begins to read as
"intelligible?"

If you'd care to post a link[1], we can look at it or not, as each is
want to.  Personally, I'm happy to look at it.

Paul
[1] Without the HTML, I saw the PGP stuff and figured it was the
attachment, shame on me.
[2] I'm not a big certification fan, but I can see why people use them.