Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Reducing Broadcast Storms

From: "Terry Baranski" <tbaranski () mail com>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 16:25:16 -0600

(You'll probably have more luck generating discussion on a Cisco-related
list or newsgroup.)

My advice is to ascertain why packet storms are occurring on your
network and then work on eliminating them as close to the source as
possible.  Switch level controls can be useful, but they're more of a
bandaid than a fix.  Broadcast/multicast storms generally shouldn't be
happening in the first place (and unicast storms definitely shouldn't be
happening) so it may be beneficial to look at this from a design point
of view -- if the packet storms are the result of a broken network or
broken hosts, switch level rate limiting isn't the optimal solution.

-Terry