Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Certification ?

From: Brad Barkett <brad.barkett () ubizen com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 17:17:43 -0400

</de-lurk>

The thing about certifications is that on the vendor end, certs serve as a promotional tool for the company (or arguably, consortium) who is the issuer, and as a result they will never be as rigorous as they could be, because too much elitism is bad for business. Certified professionals become advocates, like a street team, and it becomes advantageously tempting and financially valuable to lower the bar and create more of them.

Certs will never substitute for a degree, and a degree will never substitute for having a true passion. The whole point of requiring degrees is to help HR to determine which candidates are adequately motivated to support the initial passion and vision of a company, and of course the main reason employees acquire these accreditations is because they are ultimately unsure whether they have the ability to interpersonally convey their ability to adopt someone else's vision, and thus, get and stay hired. So at its core is a deceptive dance of insecurity.

It's like cosmetics for resumes. People apply cosmetics because they are afraid of not making the cut with someone with which they desire to associate. Sometimes cosmetics enhance a good beauty base, and other times they substitute for it in a disastrous fashion. To be fair, sometimes they are just plain required, as with annoying clowns and pesky mimes. I may have totally overextended that clown metaphor, but it's parallel could be fields like medicine where malpractice costs lives, and besides, I just wanted to rattle any potential coulrophobes on the list. At least I didn't call MCSE's the "mullets of I.T." Anyway, I ultimately find both cosmetics and certifications to be a perversion of truth and reality. Which is retroactively hypocritical, because I hold several certs and a degree. I don't wear makeup though. :o)

Most certs and degrees are basically semi-mindless turnstiles requiring much memorization and little creativity--a trial by which the middle class courts and bribes the upper class into allowing them safe passage out of the potentially dangerous lower class. Then again, for those who lack entrepreneurial vision, they can be a boon, because if you've got the patience and initial capital to become properly degreed, it's not hard to comfortably coast along in middle management for an entire lifetime, by merely acting confident and pretending to know and/or care about your career.

The thing is, the *hungriest* people don't tend to focus on the "official" warrants of their worth as workers, as their focus is on the actual learning, and their [exceptional] work is merely a byproduct of their obsessive desire to learn, so their worth is never an issue called into question, because a passionate attitude is an abundant attitude, and a committed human mind consists of almost limitless energy which far exceeds any job description.

Almost everyone who breathes has a passion toward something or other, but certs and even degrees seem to be what happens when people try to square away a false or partial passion in order to secure sustenance for other truer passions, like children, hobbies, or reality television. Some would argue that this somewhat cynical view is an oversimplification of the matter, and that at the very least, certs and degrees expose candidates to the theoretical concepts and the subtle nuances within their chosen field--knowledge which may not be easily attainable through the rather hectic and overly pragmatic world of direct work experience--and in the era before the internet, I would have probably agreed with you, but IMO universities are no longer the central repository for knowledge they once were.

It seems to me that most of the people who work in I.T. are not really natural computer people to begin with. Additionally most people in Human Resources don't really seem to understand humanity, and because of this, the certification industry will probably continue to prosper. The more the net becomes a slimy marketplace, the less it will remain an exciting scientific frontier, and so this trend will worsen. The deflation of the dotcom bubble caused a definite shakeout, but the economy will improve, tech will bounce back, and as in nature, surplus will again generate frenzy--with that rebound will return millions and millions of people who choose to lie to themselves and others about who they are and what they love, all for the sake of money. I dunno, perhaps I'm one of them. Regardless, in an alternate life I'd love to have been a "true" computer scientist in my 40s, because they are the men and women who truly took the world for a ride in the 1990s.

Of course, no generalization is ever completely accurate, and self-education and proxied education are certainly not mutually exclusive, but they certainly do seem to be two overlapping Venn circles, each contributing their moderate crossover candidates, and each with their larger body of staunch loyalists. Most of the constantly recurring and "classic" debates in I.T. [Mac/PC Netware/NT, AMD/Intel, HostIDS/NetIDS, MSBob/Impalement, etc] seem to share this explosive, ionic overlap characteristic, and if nothing else, within these subjective debates, it is the presence of this very overlap which prevents one view from being totally right, and the other squarely wrong.

Anyway, that's just my broad and overarching 02c. With the term "wizards" in the list title, I'm assuming you enjoy such abstractions.;)

Brad