Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Certification

From: "Kelly, Chris W." <ckelly () hsutx edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 13:43:28 -0500

<RANT>
Well - that doesn't apply here.  Our manager was picked because the
director likes him.  He came in with zero tech skills (he can hook up
computers and sorta troubleshoot an IP phone now though) and he has very
little people skills because he "only" has a masters in family
phsychology and zero management training.  And after a year - he's now a
Jr. VP.  We're a university - and management seems to make a point of
hiring people for positions with little or no qualifications for the
position.  Education counts - but it doesn't have to be specific.  Mr.
Jr. VP hired a person to do a bunch of SQL stuff - instead of sending
the people in the dept to training.  She's really the new B. Ball coach,
but needs a job for a few months to finish some classes for her degree.
Our new director of Financial Aid has a masters in music and was a band
director for 29 years.  Zero FinAid skills.  Nothing like being an
alumni, eh?  If I came in here with a list of certs and I wasn't young
and pretty with good hair - I'd never get a call back.
</RANT>
On Jun 12, "Laura Taylor" <ltaylor () relevanttechnologies com> wrote:

Certification is only a qualifier of technical skills. From
my experience, there is always an obvious solution for the
technical problems. The people problems are much more
difficult to solve, and only years of experience polishes up
a person's people skills. Typically what separates junior
level folks from senior level, or executive level, folks is
more often not their technical skills, but their people
skills -- at least in my opinion.

Laura Taylor
Relevant Technologies, Inc.
www.relevanttechnologies.com