Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewalling at the domain users level instead of network level

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 14:08:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004, Santos wrote:

Hi all.

I'm implementing a "Windows clients, Linux servers" kind of network.
Some users may login at different machines, therefore, ip level is not
enough. I wonder if it's possible to control the access at the "domain
users" level instead of network or ip level.  I could implement some
proxies, but each client machine had to be configured  and that would
mean extra work. IPtables can filter at the user level, but only with

You could use transparent proxies with user authentication.

local users. Is there a way to configure iptables and kerberos working
together or something like that?  Is this doable with PAM? I have read
that SAMBA authenticated gateway HOWTO, but it doesn't look very
reliable. Well, so basically what i want, is a firewall similar to a ISA
Server firewall

Um, then you should probably buy ISA- personally, I'd keep it behind
something else, but that's probably my historical paranoia of products
from that vector.

Any ideas about this would be apreciated, thanks in advance.

If ISA does what you want, then get it- you could do authenticated SOCKS,
or authentication to any other firewall which supports authentication
(heck, even Apache's mod_proxy does authentication)- but if there's a tool
that does what you wish then barring any major issues, you should use that
tool.

Paul