Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Traffic generating tool survey

From: <lordchariot () earthlink net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:46:08 -0400

Our testing labs use things like Spirent WebAvalance and SmartBits. They are
valuable tools, but overkill many times.
For quick/dirty testing, I've setup a few linux boxes using Testmaker from
www.pushtotest.com.
It's a Java client with a scripting language that can be written to perform
almost any application-type of function. For example, I used it to saturate
a proxy with as many HTTP GETs as it could handle.

You need the boxes for it to run on, and I don't recommend using the MS
boxes as TestMaker clients. The TCP stack can't really handle the load.
Erik Elsasser