Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Port 37628....Is it just another port or out of the extra ordinary???

From: InHisGrip <servie_platon () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 20:36:21 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the tips. Sorry, I forgot to mention about
the distro which is Fedora Core 2.

Incidentally, you mentioned about nfslock, since I
don't use nfs or network file system in my small home
network would it be advisable for me to comment this
out from xinetd, disable this service or just leave it
as it is?

Same goes with port 111, sunrpc port and port 773,
notify service, shall I leave these alone too?

The only services I have enabled are web service and
mail service plus kernel compile and development
options. I hope what I have selected has nothing to do
with the ports that are under question here?

Sorry for the incorectness about my question on
shielding DMZ host on my linksys as it is known to
everyone that putting it on a DMZ zone isolates it
from the local LAN segement which sort of protect your
other PC's from getting compromised. The question
should have been, based on the listening port above,
would my other PC's get compromised or be subjected to
attack?

And finally, you mentioned this:

I think that means you've got a stateful NAT
firewall going.  It's certainly
useful and functional, but offers no protection for
the DMZ host.  Use
specific port forwarding rules instead of the DMZ if
you want to improve your
security, and/or lockdown unneeded services on your
Linux box.

On this assumption, I have configured my linksys
router to do port forwarding which works fine. If I
remove the apache from the DMZ port and include in my
home LAN would other people from the Internet be able
to access my home site?

Well, I just thought of putting the web server in a
DMZ host and port to protect my other PC's. Since this
is a bastion host which will be accessible for
everyone, the only safeguard I was thinking of is tcp
wrappers, along side with the firewall rules of the
linux box, plus limited permissions on certain
directories.

What would you suggest? I am just an intermediate
linux user and would love some feedback from you or
anyone else who are advanced users to linux gurus.

Thanks in advance and hope to hear from you guys soon.

Regards,
Servie

--- Chuck Swiger <chuck () codefab com> wrote:
InHisGrip wrote:
[ ... ]

To answer the subject, rumor has it that port 37628
is used by the nfslock
service on some common Linux platforms (ie, Redhat).
 It's probably that or
some other RPC-based service, considering that port
111 also open.

Although it is possible something bad is using that
port, I'd start by
checking which services you have enabled.  It would
have helped if you had
mentioned which version and distribution of Linux
you are running, BTW.

Oh, by the way, just wanted to make sure because I
have  placed the web server in a DMZ port and zone
from my linksys router and I think but not sure
that
I am being shielded and protected atleast?

Probably not, actually: a machine in the DMZ does
not have the firewall rules
protecting it, the router just forwards traffic to
the DMZ host as-is.

There are plenty of tools which will do a port scan
of your network from
outside: try using one.

Likewise, I have enabled advanced firewall
protection on my
linksys router.

--
-Chuck