Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Comparisons between Router ACLs and Firewalls

From: "Dale W. Carder" <dwcarder () doit wisc edu>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2004 17:44:30 -0600

On Dec 17, 2003, at 6:30 PM, sd2mcleo () engmail uwaterloo ca wrote:
I'm looking to compare the use of router ACLs versus firewalls in enforcing network security. If you could provide me with the pros and cons of using each...

- Performance: what are the performance capabilities of each method and how does
the throughput compare?

Some routers and switches have firewall features, and some firewalls can route and switch. Then to define what is an ACL or a firewall rule gets even harder.

Furthermore, you also need to differentiate between network equipment that makes packet forwarding decisions in the software realm (like PIX or Linux) versus ASIC implementation (like Cisco's 6500, 7600 series or NetScreen stuff), and what that particular hardware and software combination can handle. It's not a firewall vs. ACL question anymore. For some platforms, there is little correlation between CPU usage, traffic throughput, and concurrent sessions/states. For some platforms there is severely painful correlation.

The lines differentiating firewalls, routers, and switches will probably continue to only get more blurred as these features' implementations blend hardware and software solutions. I guess my point is that for now you at least need to compare individual firewall products against those of the same architecture (software or ASIC based).

Dale