Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Looking for firewall recommendations

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 19:59:51 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Matt Bazan wrote:

Can anyone with hands on experience using the NetScreen 100/200 product
line and Cisco PIX 515 provide me with pros / cons of these solutions?
Thanks.

One's green, one's blue, they might not match your racks and cables well!

Seriously,

Almost any firewall of a given size will enforce a security policy- how
well, and what kind of security policy are more important than most other
considerations (unless you're into spiffy reports, and cutesy interfaces.)

You haven't given any information on the type of security policy you wish
to support, the type of environment you want to do it in, and what else
you've discarded for what reasons.  If you're enforcing a relatively
simple policy at a relatively small place, the color difference is likely
to be the most significant issue.  If you want to do other things, like
VPNs, IDS, and all that, then there may be a difference.  If you want to
roll out 50 or 100 of them, then the evaluation criteria is ordered
differently than if you're buying one or two.

Paul