Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Changes in How ARP is Handled between PIX OS 5.x and OS6.3?

From: "Harry Whitehouse" <harry () endicia com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 12:36:01 -0800

Hello All!

I'm trying to upgrade my PIX firewall and ran into a problem with a
Windows Load Balanced Array (WLBS).  In my PIX 5.x operating system
(which I set up 2 years ago), it seemed to require that I have an APR
statement like this:

arp inside 192.168.100.246 03bf.C0A8.6416 alias

This production box has worked flawlessly for 2+ years.  I have a
conduit bridging an outside public address to this internal IP address
and running https traffic.

When I tried to replace my 5.x PIX box with a new PIX running OS 6.3,
the load balancing stopped working completely.  I set up a separate test
bed with the new PIX and a test Load Balanced array and it seems that
WLBS will work WITHOUT the ARP statement, but will not work with the ARP
statement.

Does anyone know of changes between the PIX OS versions which would
explain this behavior?

TIA

Harry