Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Administrivia

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 19:23:32 -0500 (EST)

[Happy New Year!]

The list will be moving machines in the next month.  It's not scheduled
yet, and I don't have a new IP address, but if you're doing anything
strange content or anti-spam wise with IP addresses, this is your
forwarning- more details when I have them.  The new machine will make
things easier for me to manage, and have more cycles for anti-spam and
other fun things.  I'm also considering TLS- but if I do it, it'll
probably be with a self-signed certificate- I'm interested in hearing
opinions.

If you're doing one of those "you must verify this e-mail" things, you
need to make sure that you've taken care of the list traffic, I'm not
going to spend lots of time replying to the things.  Nor am I spending
lots of time on silly content filters- some of you are missing a lot of
interesting and useful traffic- the list is moderated, if that's not good
enough for a content filter exception, then you will lose out.  If the
filter bounces get too bad, then I'll drop the subscribers who use them
(hint- if you're using a content filter, now's the time to set it up to
not send messages to me, the list admin address, or the list address!)

Reminder: No HTML messages will be approved- when the new machine gets set
up, I might just start dropping HTML messages (it cuts down on the spam.)
Please remember to use plain text only (digital signature things are
allowed, no other attachments.)

Finally, when the new machine is ready, posting will probably be limited
to list members (no real change content-wise since the list is 100%
moderated)- but if you're reading from a common mailserver, Web archive,
or something and want to be able to post, you'll want to subscribe the
address you use to the list, and then set it to "nomail."

The good news is with the new machine, I'll have a lot less mess to wade
through, so the queue will be kept much more up to date, and likely be
significantly less "bursty."

Thanks for your time- back to your regularly scheduled list traffic...

Paul