Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Multiple world connections into PIX

From: Dave <firewall () dsrtech com>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 22:35:30 -0500

Lee,

Add a route back out "outside_1" for the source network entering. If the
PIX doesn't know the remote network to be out this interface it will use
the default route. (wrong way)

Good luck,
Dave

PIX515(config)# route ?
PIX515(config)#

On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 17:50, DCSIM Subscriptions (IA) wrote:
Greetings.

I've run into an interesting problem on a PIX 515.  Here's a makeshift
diagram:

Warning! ASCII art!

outside_1
--------------|-----|  inside_1
              |     |-------
outside_2     | PIX |
--------------|     |-------
(Def. GW)     |-----|  inside_2

LAN networks are NAT'd 10.x.
"World" networks are real addresses.

Effectively what I'm trying to do is make hosts on inside_1 use the
outside_1 network and inside_2 hosts use outside_2.  This would be
considered policy routing on a Cisco router.

So, when a connection is initiated from outside_1 to inside_1, it is built
correctly, according to the log.  However, when the return traffic is sent
back through the PIX, it tries to go out the default gateway, which is
outside_2, which does not have that connection established.

I believe I have all the NAT rules and access lists correct, but the PIX
keeps trying to use the same interface for outbound traffic.

So far I have only tried to solve this in the PDM.  I am hoping that there
are some commands in the CLI that will solve my problem.

Any ideas?

- Lee