Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Maximum number of subnets on a firewall

From: Mikael Olsson <mikael.olsson () clavister com>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 00:14:25 +0100

Paolo Supino wrote:

Hi

  The following story and question aren't product specific so please don't
try to attach it to any available product: I was asked to plan a network for
a group of 3 companies (all located in the same building and want to use the
same infrastracture). From gathering the requirements of each of the
companies I've concluded that all of them together will need 10 subnets
(including the subnet that is connected to the internet). Since the biggest
number of subnets per firewall that I ever installed was 6. Setting up 10
subnets on 1 firewall (to me) seems too much for me so I'm looking for a way
to have the 10 networks on 2 (or 3) different firewalls. If you have any
suggestions on a possible layout I'd be very happy to read it.

Without specifying what kinds of firewalls you're looking at, or what
you mean by "use the same infrastructure", it's kind of difficult to
even begin to help you.

I've managed firewalls with a dozen physical interfaces, and ones with
100+ VLANs, and ones with oodles of subnets (which is really only a
routing table issue unless you're doing some kind of meaningful
separation).

What it comes down to is a sane management structure.  If management
gets messy, yes, you may want to separate the firewalling function
into several boxes.  But if everything is cross-connected so far that
that you just end up with a management nightmare of duplicated rules
and general messines, well ...

Perhaps you can provide a bit more information?

--
Mikael Olsson, Clavister AB
Storgatan 12, Box 393, SE-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK, Sweden