Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Defense in Depth to the Desktop

From: Scott Stursa <stursa () mailer fsu edu>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 15:28:12 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Chris Pugrud wrote:

Organizations with a Cisco core can upgrade to the firewall feature set to gain
the stateful packet filtering required to implement the model, at least that's
how I'm doing it in one fairly large environment.

Really? On what kind of hardware?

Our experience, at least with CAT6500s running SUP2, is that CBAC can
be a real dog (Context Based Access Control, the "stateful inspection"
piece of Firewall Feature Set). It works okay for small departmental nets,
but if you have 150+ desktops busily accessing numerous resources outside
their subnet (i.e., through the CBAC ACL), it can have a serious
performance impact.

And don't even think about running it on a CAT5500/RSM.

Don't know about a 6500 equipped with a SUP720, but even if the
performance is improved, functionally FFS is no substitute for a PIX or a
FWSM.

- SLS