Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: RE: Help. How to stop attacks on gateway/linux host.

From: Devdas Bhagat <devdas () dvb homelinux org>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 22:23:15 +0530

On 13/12/04 11:28 +0530, Yesh Sriram wrote:
<snip>
For the last 6 months our DSL bills are extremely high. We examined our
logs and there is someone using the bandwidth from
our host every night. We can turnoff the machine but not sure if this is
the right solution.

I recommend getting a good consultant. The Chennai Linux User Group is
active, and if you want, I can recommend a few people to help you out.

We have done the following (for the last three months)
- Change passwords every 3 days
- Run only http, https, ssh
- Disable ftp

But we still continue to see the nightly breaks into our host machine.

Is this a compromised machine? Or is someone running a cron job from
behind this gateway?

We have no Linux expertise except as developers.
We checked out firewall software price and it's expensive, and there is
no expert support available. Can someone

Lots of expert support available. Not cheap, but good. You just need to
look.

suggest a fix for this. Even a policy fix/advice would be helpfull.

You need to figure out the problem first. I suggest a system with a
fresh installation, and fully patched and hardened. Then load up ntop on
this system and track your top bandwidth abusers.

Devdas Bhagat