Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Re: Highlighting Security Issues

From: <firewalladmin () bellsouth net>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 15:03:24 -0400

Now that's a scarey picture Marcus. The real scarey part is how very possibly it would be to create such a tool. I
suppose it would be possible to detect with the right AV or IDS signatures, and possibly stripped at SMTP Gateways, but
based on the large number of unpatched and unprotected systems out there it would certainly find it's way into a few
networks. This kind of program/tool would probably find it's heaviest use by skilled hackers and unethical systems
administrators who surgically plant/run it against a select few. Imagine a scenerio where a foreign government persuads
a disgruntled sysadmin (either through social engineering or for monetary reward) to "frame" a higher level government
official in such a way as to remove him form his job? Your thoughts?

Mark