Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Dumb newbie question

From: "Kevin Sheldrake" <kev () electriccat co uk>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 15:47:52 +0100

Hi

I'm not a Debian-head, but...

The startup script should be in somewhere like /etc/rc.d or /etc/init.d and will most likely be called iptables.

This script will probably do an iptables-restore < /path/file.

It is the /path/file that you are looking for. On my gentoo box it is in /var/lib/iptables/rules-save.

The basic idea is to modify the current table with the iptables command and then commit an iptables-save > /path/file to save the rules. You can modify the file directly, however as it follows the format of the iptables command.

www.netfilter.org has lots of reading on this.

Kev

I'm just getting into Linux and iptables - a definite newbie!

I've loaded Debian 2.4.18-bf24 and I have iptables 1.2.6a.

My question is, where is the rule script stored? I want to start trying my own rules but I don't know where the file is to modify. I did find / -name rc.firewall and it finds nothing!

--
Kevin Sheldrake MEng MIEE CEng CISSP
Electric Cat (Bournemouth) Ltd