Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: IIS 6 FTP on W2K3 secure shell server recommendations

From: Mark Tinberg <mtinberg () securepipe com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 02:07:14 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, Mircea MITU wrote:

On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 09:40 -0700, Matt Bazan wrote:
Need to lock down our IIS 6 FTP servers and am looking for advice on
products to do so.  Recommendations?  Please reply to me off list.
Thanks,

If you're willing to replace your w2k3 box, you may consider vsftp
(http://vsftpd.beasts.org/), otherwise take a look @ PureFTPd
(http://pureftpd.org/)

If you wanted to take the discussion to alternate server software, I've
successfully run ProFTPd under Cygwin on a Win2K installation.  This was
not for a very intensive site, I just needed it for a small automated
transfer, but it worked fine for my purposes.  The only weird issue I ran
into was having some of my test files created with NT ACLs that didn't
have Full Control privilige for any user.  The files could be read to and
written from but not deleted, nor the permissions altered (or at least I
don't know how one would do it).  vsftpd looks like a better design than
proftpd but I don't know if it runs on Win32 in any fashion.

--
Mark Tinberg
Staff Engineer