Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 and IPSec

From: Devdas Bhagat <devdas () dvb homelinux org>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 05:22:32 +0530

On 26/08/04 13:47 -0700, suren wrote:
Hi,
   IPSec based security is MUST for IPv6. Due to this, I would
   assume that end systems would use IPSec to secure the traffic
   going out.

   Quite a number of times, organizations would like to filter out
   the connection(Firewall) run the data through centralized virus
   scanning/spam scanning engines. This requires clear traffic.

   With respect to these, I have questions on how the deployments
   going to be. One type of depolyments I can think of is:

         Central gateway implementing Firewall/Virus Scanning
         engine and also terminting IPSec tunnels from local PCs and
         creating tunnels from the gateway to ultimate destination.
         By doing this, the gateway gets hold of clear packets, can
         apply firewall rules, scan and any other operations.

Too complex. IPSec will not be a tunnel in IPv6. What you have referred
to above, is just an ALG. Just ask Marcus :)

    What other types of deployments would be required/considered by
    organizations having IPv6 networks?

Broken ones? Where simple packet filtering will continue to be used, and
then they will throw good money at IPS rather than using the firewall
for what it was designed to do.

Devdas Bhagat