Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Highlighting Security Issues

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 10:28:21 -0400 (EDT)

Saw this on Slashdot, and thought it might be worth some thought...

http://www.aldotwaste.com/

The short version is that after being frustrated for a while, the person
in question Trojaned his boss's machine, and gathered screenshots over a 7
month period that show 70% of the time, his boss was playing solitaire,
and 20% of the time, checking his stocks.  The whistle-blower was removed
from his position, though he claims policy gave him the right to monitor
and document abuses.

Some of the knee-jerk reaction from the organization looks to be "there
was IDS and it was showing hacking and obviously this got us hacked!"
balanced by an independent report that says they were up to their ears in
false positives and didn't have AV updates working.

Thoughts?  Comments?  Updates from our favorite copying place?

Paul