Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Waning Security

From: "Kelly, Chris W." <ckelly () hsutx edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 10:27:22 -0500

Security is *everyone in an organization's responsibility* but that
means that the people in charge have to pay attention.  If there's not

an easy and well-known way for an organization to inform and indeed
complain about it, it's STILL not the messenger's fault.  Shooting the

messenger ensures you get no more messages-

I'd not shoot the messenger for noticing a problem. I'd shoot the
messenger for telling the world about it.

Putting on my management hat - IF this employee had the confidence that
his manager would/could understand and deal with the problem, there
would not have been a discussion here.  If his manager was open to
communication from his/her employees about improving the business
processes, there would not have been a discussion here.  It's the
responsibility of the management (at least local mgmt) of the business
to create an environment where employees can share their concerns and
feel like sombody at least gives a crap about "it", even if nothing can
effectively be done to change the situation.  Shoot the messenger now
and the messenger will certainly discuss the details of their
termination with others and - as management - you'll play hell getting
any useful info out of your employees after that.  You will have
sucessfully re-energized the Us/Them barrier.  This is the absolute
hardest business relationship problem to undo.

I do agree that the name of the company could have been left out of the
discussion.