Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Stanford break in

From: Carric Dooley <carric () com2usa com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:05:30 -0400 (EDT)

Here's my take..

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Chuck Vose wrote:

The break in at Stanford and other high level super-computing schools
prompted a question about NIS.

When dealing with any kind of networked password database, such as NIS
or Active Directory, how does one ensure that accounts aren't stolen. It
seems like when an account is lost, it's lost on every single computer
on the network instead of just one machine.

1. Are network synchronized passwords a bad idea, considering the
normally lax stance on security that many corporations have?

Network synced passwords are the only way to manage a large number of
users. If you have 10 workstations and 1 server, it might be fine to have
no network directory, but with 300,000 users, I would say it's impossible.
I would consider: LDAP, NDS, AD, SecureID, RADIUS, TACACS. (notice the
conspicuous absence of NIS, and I wanted to leave out AD, but it seems to
be unavoidable these days.

2. Aside from running Jack the Ripper regularly on the passwords and
ensuring that passwords are strong, what are some methods to ensure
physical and logical security of accounts (ie: yellow stickies are the
hidden treasure for a disgruntled employee). Any generalized concepts?

JOHN the Ripper, Rainbow Crack or L0phtcrack could be PART of the process,
but it would make more sense to enforce strong passwords when the user
sets them. Decide on password guidelines like alpha-numeric, mixed case,
and one special character, and leave it to a dll like passfilt.dll or
something similar. Yellow stickies just comes down to end-user education,
and a good password policy. If the requirements are: "14 random
alpha-numeric chars, with 5 special chars and mixed case.. OH, and change
it weekly" you will most likely have a sticky note problem.. if it's: "7
chars, alpha-numeric, one special char and mixed case changing every 42
days, and HERE are 6 examples of good passwords", you could make some
progress... it really comes down to a good security program that includes
the security organization, and a well-crafted, enforced security policy.

3. In an Active Directory domain, allowing access to all computers is
obviously a bad idea, but is this what the majority of admins do?
Authenticate with the server, but only allow access to one workstation.
I've never had to do this on a large scale, is it as time consuming as
it seems that it might be or are there tools that make this easier?

AD, LDAP, NDS all give you the ability to control access through context.
In other words, if the tree is well designed, a user cannot access all
servers on the network. Access to "a workstation" would be somewhat
useless in a client server network... users need to be able to get to
servers, but only those required to do their jobs, which is pretty much
the underlying principal to data confidentiality in the CIA
(confidentiality, integrity, availability) data security model. This again
goes back to whether or not an enforced policy allows network
administrators to create a flat tree... you COULD even do it if all you
have is something like domains using resource domains, with multiple
masters, and creating infinite one-way trust relationships, but the level
of pain that would entail would discourage most sane people.

I know that this is 3 disparate topics, would list etiquette suggest
that I should make 3 topics?

Thank you,
Chuck

--