Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Passwords (was: Stanford break in)

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 16:44:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Dana Nowell wrote:

Bottom line: do NOT, repeat, do NOT put ANY confidence in 'salts' saving
your A**.  The best defense is to not be in anyone's dictionary in the
first place.  Pick a password carefully and change it regularly.

Filling in the dictionary isn't that hard, and adding to it to generate
the "empty space" isn't all that bad for smaller lengths...

http://security.sdsc.edu/publications/teracrack.pdf
(Where the heck was Abe when I baited him in this thread?)

One of the "interesting" things in the Teracrack paper is that high-bit
characters collide.  They found one "true" collision between $C4U1N3R and
SEEKETH- now I dunno about you, but I'd have put $C4U1N3R in the "not in a
dictionary" category.

Now, someone with mad math skills can take the dictionaries, and the
possible 7-bit passwords and figure out how much keyspace that leaves-
since "strong passwords enforced by software" will negate having to search
that space- if we know how long the password is (attacker on site) then it
might just not matter that you chose a non-dictionary entry.

Bottom line: Reusable passwords still suck. :)

Paul