Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: how to check if someone is blocking me or watching me?

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 19:01:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 ngunness () canada com wrote:

Is it ture that i can find out if someone is blocking
me and tracking me? Norman

Not always, it depends on who's doing it, where they're doing it from and
what methods they're using.

If it's work, and they own the network/firewall, then you'll likely never
know unless they're willing to tell you (and businesses *should* let
people know they're subject to monitoring.)  If it's someone who's
installed a trojan on your system, then unless you can detect the trojan,
or have a seperate method of monitoring the traffic your machine emits,
then you're likely to not find out.  If it's a third party, then it really
depends on what they have access to and how they decide to track you.

None of the folks I've tracked during incidents have known they were being
tracked until it was time for lawyers or law enforcement to get involved,
but if a handful of them had known where to look, they might have figured
out someone was looking for them (though probably not who exactly.)

Back when I actively ran firewalls for a large corportion, users weren't
specifically aware of tracking due to an investigation once inappropriate
usage had been established as a probability.

If you're doing something "wrong" from a network, the obvious answer is
not to do it.  If it's privacy, not legality or appropriateness, then do
it from a machine you own and a connection you pay for.

Paul