Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Web Server Monitoring

From: "Jim McAtee" <jmcatee () mediaodyssey com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 16:47:59 -0600

VNC isn't secure.  You can operate it over SSL, however.

Keep in mind that remote administration and remote monitoring are two
completely different animals.  You can hardly be expected to sit at a screen
using VNC and physically 'watch' it to tell if all web sites are running.

To monitor a web server, you need to pull web pages off of it.  You'll know
both if the physical machine and the underlying web server are operating.  Go
one further if you're using ASP, ColdFusion, PHP or another application server
and make sure you pull pages generated by the app server.  Pings only tell you
if the machine itself is alive.

There are many monitoring software packages available, both open source and
commercial, with differing levels of sophistication.  They might send an email
notification, dial a pager, or even remotely restart a dead application.

What is the OS and web server?  For Windows 2k/2k3 for remote administration,
Terminal Services is supposed to be fairly secure, since the session is
encrypted.