Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Personal Firewall Day?

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 19:45:45 -0400 (EDT)

With all the bot zombies, worms and viruses out in the world, one of the
conversations at the recent NTBugTraq retreat was about what we could do
about it.

My proposal is that we have a "Personal Firewall Day."  Where we all try
to get home users (and corporate users if applicable/possible) to install
home or personal firewalls, up-to-date Anti-Virus software, etc.  I'm
thinking this would be best soon after Christmas, so we have a chance to
get all the new PC presents covered as well.

Anyway, I've fired up a mailing list (which may move eventually to a
"work" domain) for discussion of my proposal.  I'll start approving
postings in the next few days, once we get a few more subscribers, and I
have a chance to formally lay out my idea.

You can also send a message containing the word "subscribe" to
pfd-request () bat clueby4 org

If we can achieve some critical mass, perhaps we can make a difference,
even removing a smallish percentage of vulnerable hosts from the Net will
help slow propogation of some of these things.

Thanks,

Paul