Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Personal Firewall Day?

From: Crispin Cowan <crispin () immunix com>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 01:11:01 -0700

Adam Shostack wrote:

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 10:57:21AM -0700, Crispin Cowan wrote:

| I submit that dumb terminals are dead & gone, until & unless something | happens that makes massive central storage vastly cheaper than local | storage. At the moment, local storage is actually cheaper than machine | room spindles, so the trend is going the other way.

Is that a managed, or unmanaged cost?  How do you do backup and
disaster recovery on desktop storage?

Well of *course* you don't do that! That would require forethought, and worse, would incur expenses now for problems that might only happen later :)

Seriously, yes that is a problem. My laptop is backed up regularly, but that certainly isn't common for laptops and workstations. Is this a good idea? No. I'm just relating what I see as the thought process that causes people to choose stateful workstations over stateless thin clients. It should hardly be surprising to this forum that people don't often choose the choice that matches a long-term optimal strategy.

Admittedly, a good compression algorithm could reduce most of what's on
your desktop to a few napster:// urls and the content of your
powerpoint, reducing the backup work to a few dozens of megs, but I've
yet to see that productized.

As it happens, my backup regimine is a daily rsync to another desktop class machine. Here is the daily statistics for backing up my 10 GB home directory:

total: matches=178822  tag_hits=12906386  false_alarms=562 data=37794737
rsync[13938] (sender) heap statistics:
 arena:        3437176   (bytes from sbrk)
 ordblks:            6   (chunks not in use)
 smblks:             0
 hblks:              1   (chunks from mmap)
 hblkhd:        266240   (bytes from mmap)
 usmblks:            0
 fsmblks:            0
 uordblks:     3304032   (bytes used)
 fordblks:      133144   (bytes free)
 keepcost:      115960   (bytes in releasable chunk)

Number of files: 24816
Number of files transferred: 43
Total file size: 7356792827 bytes
Total transferred file size: 2207841161 bytes
Literal data: 37794737 bytes
Matched data: 2170050896 bytes
File list size: 917798
Total bytes written: 11426017
Total bytes read: 1754934

wrote 11426017 bytes  read 1754934 bytes  3701.99 bytes/sec
total size is 7356792827  speedup is 558.14

real    59m20.411s
user    19m40.572s
sys    3m18.414s

Crispin