Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Real Traffic Testing

From: "Gianpiero Porchia" <gianpiero.porchia () atsweb it>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 10:10:30 +0200

Hi,

We are evaluating a new firewall technology. Instead of testing it in a lab,
we would like to test it in a production environment. The idea should be the
following:

- Get the production traffic (for example using TAPs)
- Send the traffic to the new firewall
- Look at the firewall behaviour

The schema should be:

         OUTSIDE

                |TAP-1
                +-----------------------
                |                      |
          ---------              ----------
          | FW    |              | FW-test|
          ---------              ----------
            |                      |
            |TAP-2                 |
            +-----------------------

         INSIDE

- Get traffic from OUTSIDE to INSIDE using TAP-1
- Get traffic from INSIDE to OUTSIDE using TAP-2

The objectives (ie why we want to use production traffic):
- Testing FW-test for performance (looking at its resources) in OUR real
world environment;
- Testing FW-test for configuration. Looking at log files we want to get the
identical configuration of FW, so we can switch to FW-test with minimal
troubles.

The problems:
- The traffic is directed to the MAC address of FW, so FW-test will drop it;
- The traffic passing through the TAPs is function of the configuration of
FW (but it's a minor problem, since we pretend to have the same
configuration on FW-test);

Have you some idea to get the objectives?

Thanks.

- gian
_____

Ing. Gianpiero Porchia
Security Engineer

ATS - Advanced Telecom Systems
Designing, Testing, Managing Network Quality

Via Salgari, 17 - 41100 Modena - ITALY
Tel   +39 059 821332
Fax  +39 059 821492
Cel   +39 335 330413
E-mail: gianpiero.porchia () atsweb it
messenger.msn.com: http://messenger.msn.com/, gianpiero.porchia () atsweb it
Web site: http://www.atsweb.it

PGP Key ID: 0xCAE064A4 (pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371)
Fingerprint: 080D AD88 C18A FCA3 91BC  0DF2 F05F 7489 CAE0 64A4