Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: (In)security of wireless LANs and the Cisco Wireless Security Sui te

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 10:22:27 -0500 (EST)

John,

As mentioned in previous threads recently on the cisco offering, it
depends upon LEAP, which is susceptable to a dictionary attack.  If you
can live with that, then shoot, if not, then you may wish to look at some
other radius server based method of auth and such.  Of course, being this
is soundling like an inside only wireless deployment, such that folks have
to be on premisses to use, if the AP's are properly tuned so as to not
braodcast outside the building perimiters <and this means walking the
grounds with a wireless sniffer to ensure> then your risks are again
reduced.  There was a good set of articles if I recall in either the
information security mag recently, or network mag.  You can find links to
all the wireless releated work from the two I have published at:

http://sysinfo.com/wire1.html  and http://sysinfo.com/wired2.html

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne