Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Pix 501 configuration question

From: "Melson, Paul" <PMelson () sequoianet com>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 12:07:03 -0500

Can't happen.  A PIX will only forward a packet that arrives on one
interface to another.  It can't NAT a packet and then send it back out
the interface it arrived on.  Other firewalls may do this, but the PIX
does not.  In order to get away with what you propose, you would need a
third network (e.g. a DMZ) for these Internet-facing servers.  Then you
could NAT these servers to their public address on both the inside and
outside interfaces of the PIX.

Implementing a DMZ wouldn't be a bad idea for security reasons anyway.
(But if you want to stay with a PIX firewall, you'll need to upgrade to
a 515 in order to get 3 or more interfaces.)

PaulM