Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Dynamic routing on a firewall

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 18:53:52 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003, Dawes, Rogan (ZA - Johannesburg) wrote:

Hi,

I just wanted to pick the list's brain with regards to dynamic routing on a
firewall.

Is it a good idea to allow a firewall to participate in dynamic routing? My
first thoughts are that it sounds like a really dangerous thing  - you
certainly don't want to have routes changing so that a DMZ moves from one
interface to a different one, for instance.

That's a part of it, the other piece of it is that dynamic routing
protocols are complex animals- and complexity leads to bugs.

What mechanisms do the various firewalls (mostly interested in Pix and FW-1)
have to sanity-check routing updates that they receive?

I've never allowed a firewall to do dynamic routing, so I can't directly
answer that- but BGP is really the only routing protocol I'd want to place
into a hostile environment, and then I'd want the implementation to be
bullet-proof, so I'd put in routers, and leave firewalling to the
firewalls and routing to the routes...

Paul