Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Free Firewalls? Thoughts...

From: Smith Gary-GSMITH1 <Gary.R.Smith () motorola com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 09:05:38 -0500

Hi Sean,

I have set up firewalls using Darren Reed's IPF on SunOS, Solaris, and
FreeBSD. It works great and has been a stable platform for building
firewalls for sometime now. IPF has some nice features including round-robin
redirection to do load balancing. I typically use a tool like isba
(http://www.inc2.com/isba) or firewall builder
(http://fwbuilder.sourceforge.net) to create the rulesets. I've used
IPtables/netfilter in Linux to set up firewalls. Personally, I thing IPF is
better and more comprehensible. I know I'm setting myself up for flames
here, but I think IPtables/netfilter is a based upon a bad paradigm.