Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Soap - Was RPCs over HTTPS through the firewall

From: Mason Schmitt <hr824 () sunwave net>
Date: 02 May 2003 07:58:26 -0700

On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 06:52, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
Mason Schmitt wrote:
What I'm curious about is whether the members of this list have any
concerns with soap as a method of doing RPC and whether there are any
firewall concerns.

No concerns - Soap is from Microsoft, so it's OK.
Remember, Microsoft got serious about security last year, and fixed
all the flaws in thier code. I think they spent a whole month or something
like that doing it. I'm sure that Soap's fine, now.

I'm sure that a month is more than enough time to bring the whole
windows family up to an acceptable level of security...  Look at how
they solved the attachment issue in outlook - just don't allow people
the option of receiving attachments.  Grrr...

All joking aside though, didn't soap grow out of XML RPC?  Not that that
necessarily means anything from a security standpoint...  I'm just
wondering if anyone has any caveats concerning soap that I may be
missing.

Mason