Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Decision

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 10:09:05 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003, Peteris Krumins wrote:

Hello fw wizards!

 I have run into a hard decision - i just dicovered a bug in
 <someserver> which <some large company> runs and is only
 accessible to the clients of <the company> - it's an auth
 server, somewhere tied together with Cisco router w/ SSG and
 RADIUS authentication.

 Due to bug, any source file can be read and the <the company> has spent
 thousands of $ for making the system.

 Whats the best - report the bug and possible workarounds or let it
 stay?
 What i am nervous of is that the <the company> could 'kick' me later
 for seeing the sources.

You have several choices:

!. Contact the company and fully explain the situation, and hope they
don't remove you.

2.  Contact the company anonymously, and explain the situation and hope
they don't try too hard to get past your anonymity.

3.  Use a trusted 3rd party to contact the company, and hope they don't
decide to try to get past your anonymity (I'd be happy to mediate if you
choose this path, we do this quite frequently at TruSecure and ISCA Labs.)
Just note that contact information is subject to discovery motions should
the company decide that a law has been broken.  We've yet to have anyone
do this, but it's worth keeping in mind.

If something happens via the bug, and your activities were logged, then
the chances are that you'll be blamed, that and basic ethics should mean
that not reporting the issue is a non-starter.

Paul