Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Client Security Policy, IT security Policy Samples

From: Mitch Pirtle <mitchell.pirtle () verizon net>
Date: 03 Jun 2003 10:02:05 -0400

Good morning/evening,

SANS has an excellent resource at:

        http://www.sans.org/resources/policies/  OR
        http://www.sans.org/rr/catindex.php?cat_id=50

There you can get all the answers you are looking for.  IMHO I think
you're working on these in reverse order, because the InfoSec policy
defines the WHAT that is specified to WHOM, and HOW.  This is the high
level strategy document.  Once you get this defined, the rest is much
more intuitive.

From previous experience, I'd say that your password policies are really
guidelines (one for "users" and the other for IT staff, regarding "group
accounts" like root/Administrator etc.), the client policy is really a
standard, and the InfoSec policy is the real policy.  But this is my own
system cobbled from repetitive policy treatment at several
organizations, definitely not the norm!

Something else to consider - depending on the size of your organization
- is defining security teams, including incident response and
forensics.  Last time I went through this exercise it was for a global
organization whose security efforts were completely matrixed (spanning
multiple departments).  Instead of politics, I got a great
cross-divisional team of people that supposedly hated each other.

As for the client security policy, I'd take a hard look at the
guidelines already prepared by SANS and NIST as well:

        http://csrc.nist.gov/

If you have more policy questions just ask.  I just relocated to NYC
from Europe, and am sitting on the bench with plenty of time...

-- Mitch